Friday 26 September 2008

A Freedom to be Me

I feel remarkably happy. Sometimes I do, so for once I thought I'd tell you.

I have just been listening to music in my room. And "Jesus Freak" began. If you are a Christian of any repute whatsoever you will know of this as that relatively cheesy dc talk song that is loud.

And it is exactly that. So you people who aren't Christians know now, and any of no repute too.

The reason I tell you this is because I listened to it and it filled me with joy. Joy of the kind that is complete elation and freedom, but not the kind of freedom that allows you to do anything. The kind of freedom that allows you to be the best you can, which is almost the opposite but a thousand times better. Because doing anything could include murder and rape and other nasty things, and other not so nasty things like lying and some even worse things (maybe) like prejudice and oppression (maybe worse because they involve more people).

But being the best you can be allows you to simply be you in your complete fullness.

It's hard to explain. But that is how it made me feel.

And that is how the book Velvet Elvis made me feel. And EVERYBODY should read that book. It is utterly awesome. Whatever anyone else says. It is liberating.

Liberating in the way I just explained.

Oh, most of you are going to think I am spouting rubbish, and I apologise, but may I suggest you try to find this elating freedom? It may be in appreciating the stars, or the trees, or music, or grass or something entirely magnificent, but please try to find it so you can know I don't spout just rubbish.

Those of you who don't think I am, thank you.

No comments: