Wednesday 3 March 2010

3 WW Beauty or Objectivity?

I recently read The Abolition of Man by CS Lewis. In it Lewis supposes that if humanity continues to try to conquer nature, to objectify beauty and to attempt to work out the sacred we will lose, through the process, the essence of our humanity. Lewis bases all of this on the existence of the Tao. The Tao is essentially an absolute moral code which we can choose to live within or to step outside and observe dispassionately. I think he may have a point, and, fortunately, I think we may be returning to an appreciation of things because we cannot understand them, rather than a preference for understanding. For example, I think most adults will look at the stars, or over the plains of a Savannah and permit themselves to stand in wonder rather than to objectively consider the working of photosynthesis, of the ecosystem, or of the exploding gases in the universe. Humanity possesses the ability to amaze itself with wonderful paintings, or exquisite compositions of symphony, or a singing voice more stunning than a lark’s. Yet, Lewis would argue, this state is frail if we decide to lose our sense of the bigger picture, of the sense of something pervading even our biggest achievements that is not there to be understood, but there, instead, to be mysterious and beautiful.

10 comments:

Stan Ski said...

Interesting thoughts on arrogance and redemption.

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

I am very appreciative of your views, set up well with great thought.

Anonymous said...

I''l have to read The Abolution of Man. It sounds fascinating. I read A Grief Observed and loved his voice.His thoughts helped me sort through my own.

Great post.

Thomma Lyn said...

Well-said -- too many people lose sight of a bigger picture because of scrambling so frantically in the small mazes of life.

Jay R. Thurston said...

I have always found the concepts behind the Tao interesting. Deep and well organized thoughts on this piece, the intrigue of understanding more fulfilling than the actual achievement of understanding... reminds me of the saying "getting there is half the fun".

I enjoyed your work... quite thought provoking.

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, nicely done!

Anonymous said...

yes, yes, yes...cs lewis is awesome... if only we could get past the cupboard he created... good point abt the stars and savannah as an example... we are all parts to one body regardless of the miles that separate us...the stars on a clear night always bring me comfort...

Dee Martin said...

I think we lose sight of the big picture when we try to make ourselves too big. I liked this though I haven't read The Abolition of Man yet. It's on my wishlist now :)

Tumblewords: said...

The bigger picture does escape many of us. Excellent piece.

Timothy P. Remp said...

The saying, “The devil is in the details” could have been derived from your post.

-Tim
My 3ww:
http://timremp.blogspot.com/2010/03/old-world-were.html