Monday 18 June 2012

Time to be a pilgrim

My decision to seek shalom concides with one of those times when you hear one word repeated over and over again in different contexts; one of those times when God is speaking. 

A wise man (@UrbanFriar) suggested I read 'Chasing Francis' by Ian Morgan Cron. I have begun this book, and I am enjoying it immensely. An evangelical pastor coming to a crisis of faith begins a pilgrimage looking back over St Francis of Assisi's experiences.

Last Thursday was my last day of college (three years of degree complete, bar one assignment which hangs over me like a piano on a thread) and our year tutor shared with us her thoughts on Psalm 84, particularly verse 5 which reads 'Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.'

So, what is pilgrimage about? 

Dictionary.com says a pilgrimage is a journey, especially a long one, made to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion. A pilgrim is someone who undertakes such a journey. 

As yet, I cannot work out what this means for me. Perhaps a journey awaits, whether literal or metaphorical I do not know, but in order to start a journey one needs to take a step.  


So today, I shall take a step.

No comments: