Wednesday 9 September 2015

Themba's Story

My life is full of stories.

Stories full of sadness and longing, stories of redemption and salvation, stories of forgiveness and hopelessness, healing and wonder.

But this story is a story of violence.


It used to happen when I was five. It makes me shudder to think of it, let alone tell it again.

I have lived in rough areas for almost my entire life. I have lived near bars and pubs, heard the screams and shouts of anger and hurt at night. I have felt terror before sleep, and I have known mindless violence for no reason.

It was when I lived a bit further out that it happened though. One of my chores was to go and buy bread each morning. Lots of children hate chores, but this one chore made me hate bread.

I used to step out of the house to walk to the shop, and as I walked I would notice a trail on the ground. I remember the first time I saw it. I was quite excited – I didn’t know it was blood. I followed it eagerly, a dark trail of brown drips, wondering what could leave such a trail. The first time it led to a house, and I dared not enter there. But I soon saw a similar trail again, and once, it didn’t lead to a house. Instead, it led to a man. Covered in blood and contorted into the strange shape that the agony of death brings to a person, hands clutching, desperate for something his now unseeing eyes must have hoped was there. I don’t know how many times I saw a body when I went to get bread in the morning when I was five years old. I don’t know how often blood spattered the way there. I know only that it wasn’t good. That it isn’t right for children to see this. It cries out of me that it cannot be so.

I use this story of violence and sadness as a springboard. A motivation to see my country and this world changed. A world where violence is no longer present is, I believe, possible, and I strive for it each day. I wonder, would you strive with me?
 
 
 
Based on a true story.

No comments: