Sunday 29 March 2009

My Friend

My friend doesn't understand the importance of mystery, they joy found in the incomprehensible. He does not look up at the stars and say "Wow!" He does not see a buttercup in a field and begin to skip for joy. He cannot see that forgiveness is liberating. He cannot comprehend that to believe is not to see. He fails to grasp the concept of faith.

My friend worries only about practicalities. He wants proof. He needs something tangible. He looks up at the stars and talks about red shift and blue shift and the Time-Space Continuum. He sees a buttercup in the field and couldn't care less. He does not believe in sin and redemption. He says he needs to see to believe. He says he can do a better job than God.

My friend despises suffering. He wants people to live forever happily. My friend believes in the power of words, but does not see the force of actions. That's why my friend moans a lot and seems to do very little.

My friend is one of the best I have, but I hope that one day soon he sees a buttercup and begins to skip.

No comments: