Monday 9 June 2008

Rambling Thoughts

There is a verse in the Bible that says,

"When I determined to load up on wisdom and examine everything taking place on earth, I realized that if you keep your eyes open day and night without even blinking, you'll still never figure out the meaning of what God is doing on this earth. Search as hard as you like, you're not going to make sense of it. No matter how smart you are, you won't get to the bottom of it."

This may be a problem for me who is searching for truth. There may of course be no problem because maybe God is doing nothing on this earth because there is no God to do something.

However, when searching for truth one should not dismiss religion for its apparent paradoxical nature. Plenty of people claim to be proponents of love and then start wars, I'm sure. Admittedly not so many people claim that God spoke to them directly or chose them explicitly and then kill millions of people (Mr. Bush), but that might not be uncommon in places of power.

All I know is that Muslims, Jews and Christians all believe in one God who stems from Abraham. To me this seems remarkable. And yet some seem to hate each of the other religions. I don't know. (How strange to start a paragraph with "All I know" and finish it with "I don't know.")

There is one other thing, which in some ways I have jumped, that bothers me. Which religion is correct? Is it possible that one is exclusively right? What if I had been brought up a Muslim? What if I had been brought up a Nazi? Would then I be so scathing of war and tyranny?

There are many more questions that sometimes bother to trouble me, but we shall leave them be for I have rambled enough.

No comments: