Friday 13 June 2008

Why Inigo?

Some of you may be wondering why I have called myself Inigo Montoya. Please permit me to explain.

The Princess Bride is a book written by S. Morgenstern abridged by William Goldman. It was later turned into a rather decent film.

It is a fairy tale of true love, rhyming and revenge. It is the revenge that is relevant here. Inigo Montoya's involvement with the story revolves around his talent for fencing. He fences excellently because he has practised for hours every day for years that he may avenge his father's death, which was at the hands of the six-fingered man. When he finds that man he plans to say,

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Inigo's quest for revenge is unfaulted and unyielding. I have decided to liken this search to my own search for truth.

As you know, I am not sure that I will ever find 'the truth'. What I am sure of is that it is worth looking and we may just see a flicker or a glimmer in one of the windows we look through which affirms our initial reasoning for looking through that window.

I recommend you read Goldman's abridged version of the story; it is excellent and he misses out all the boring bits.

No comments: