Tuesday 3 June 2008

A Rant

What I wrote about money on that train follows. After I tell you that it rambles slightly, as I am prone to do. I wrote it after hearing the man opposite talk about his emergency board meeting the next day, and one of the two girls talk about something I'd rather not disclose explicitly.

"The world revolves around one thing: money.

Some people think it revolves around sex, some people think it revolves around drink, but to do the first safely and the second at all you need money.

People crave money; it allows them to be comfortable. Comfortable!? How ridiculous. Comfort, in the face of death, is all that we want. The people dying of AIDs around the world are to most of us irrelevant; insignificant. And you care when you read this, when you think about it. But set your alarm for in one hour and forty three minutes time. See if you have done anything about it, or even thought about it since now. If you do it is probably because you've wanted to prove me wrong. For once I will be pleased to be proved wrong if you do do something, and someone else in the world probably will be too."

Let's do something about it.

Another thing that annoyed me was heard on the radio the other day. Mugabe is attending some conference in Europe and this was before it had started. The question was put "Will Mugabe's presence distract from the main talks?" (ie. to do with economic stuff) The answer?

"Yes, and it will be a shame because that is only one African country's problems."

Excuse me! I don't care whose problem it is, or how many countries it is affecting, people are dying unnecessarily. I was cross.

No comments: