Tuesday 27 May 2008

Clowning about with Animals

I have not posted for the past few days and I am annoyed because so much that is interesting has happened. On Sunday I went with my brother and sister-in-law, niece and younger sister to our local county show. It was mildly interesting until we met the clown on stilts. Then it became quite interesting. We had a chat and he asked us what car we had (my sister-in-law's Dad and Sister were there too, we were by their car at the time) and so after he had guessed 'Ford Focus' and 'Skoda' and the like he was told it was a Mercedes.

"I didn't realise I was talking to posh people," he said.

We laughed, and decided that he is single (like me, so I shouldn't really scoff).

The day became more than interesting - intriguing and exciting - when we watched the jousting. That was impressive, and those horses magnificent. It was also quite comical.

Also on Sunday my eldest brother returned home from Uni and it was good to see him again.

Sunday duly finished, and, as is its wont, Monday came next. This was a complex day that will take some explaining. Let me begin by telling you that two hamsters were the outcome of the day; one for my sister and one now mine.

The day began with my sister (the one desperate for a pet) running into my room screaming "Inigo, Dad says I can get a hamster!" (I had been told this the night before and so did the necessary feigning surprise before saying that this news was brilliant. It was soon after this that my eldest brother and I went to help our other brother sort out his house. Upon our return we were told that a free hamster and cage had been found on Freecycle (an internet trading thing) but that the person had not got back to Mum. So the pet shop was considered, and it was closing at one (Bank Holiday) so we headed there. It was there that my sister fell in love with a cream hamster with a white band across its back. It was also there that the person who was giving a hamster and cage away phoned Mum. We left embarrassed and my sister slightly disappointed.

We went straight to where the free hamster was, and we accpeted it gladly. When we got home my sister decided she didn't like it, and cried. I said I'd have it (being an animal lover). Dad said this was OK and said that she could get one later. The large supermarket pet shop was still open. We went. We saw. We bought a hamster. It looked the same as the first one my sister saw, only it was female.

The dogs had not yet been walked, so we had taken them to the superpetshop so that Mum and I could walk with them back again. It was pouring with rain.

We headed across the road, and across one field where we came across another road. It was a large one. We crossed halfway unscathed. We waited. We waited. We crossed the second half unscathed. It was then that the excitement really began. We walked to the gate of the next field, which has a large mound across it. We went to the far side of the mound to come face to face with a cow. Cows and dogs don't like each other. We turned and walked swiftly to the other end of the mound. We climbed over and a little further down the path was another cow. We waited again. And still waited.

Eventually it moved off and we walked on only to see another cow. The difference being this one was staring at us intently, its gaze not faltering and its head looking very threatening despite a lack of horns. We were quite scared. We hopped over the fence to the pavement with one of the dogs. The other dog was too large and wet to lift over. This was a problem. Solved by the other dogs lightness. We tied the two leads together.

A brilliant idea, until the dog dragged my Mum so she slammed into the fence. Not so good. We waited for the dreaded cow to move, and while we watched the reason for its gaze emerged. A calf, clearly very young stood by her and together they moved off. We sighed in a rather relieved way and climbed back into the field where we managed to get home without further disruption.

I hope to post a picture of Hammy Bear (as my Hamster is called) on this very blog sometime soon.

No comments: