Saturday 17 May 2008

Questions

I am a person who asks many questions, generally about God or physics and occasionally both. This has led me on a very long quest which appears never ending. Today was part of the journey.

Someone has lent me a book called My Questions, God's Questions and in it there are 61 questions that were asked of a Christian monk. Today I read only a few questions, but it was fascinating.

The first question in the book asks whether Christianity is the only way. Surprisingly the monk says this:

"Christianity is not the only way, but Christ is!"

He then goes on to explain saying that Christ is also the Logos referred to in John 1 as the Word. It is through this Logos that people may come to the Father, through creation or redemption. Quite a brilliant idea, and one of which I had not thought.

Something else struck me as brilliant from this book, and entirely relevant to the introduction to this blog:

"Christ likes us to prefer truth to him because, before being Christ, he is truth. If one turns aside from him to go towards the truth, one will not go far before falling into his arms." - Simone Weil

Let us see if my search takes me to the arms of Christ.

3 comments:

David Masters said...

And Pilate asked 'what is truth?' And the man with the bloody temples, stooping, swollen lipped, could only answer with silence.

Must truth be an 'answer' as we assume in the western world. Must it be a final thing that solves all other things. Why do we think this?

Why can't truth be found in silence?

JonnyM said...

It might be found in silence. It may indeed be 'unfindable' or simply not. But to not look would be a little foolish. Let us call it the West's version of enlightenment.

David Masters said...

hmmm. I wasn't trying to say that truth is 'unfindable' just that it might not be something that can be captured verbally or in words, or in any visual representation.

I was also raising the possibility that it could be something that is always changing.

Maybe in flux but always stable.

Not to look would be foolish. But my point is that you might always (and thus, paradoxically, never) be finding.