Friday 16 May 2008

Stuck on the Loo


Let us begin with a small occurrence in my life earlier today. It is a typical happening in my rather trivial life ('typical' does not imply daily, it merely suggests that it is the kind of event that is frequent in my life). I decided, quite sensibly, that I needed the toilet. This is, of course, a natural happening, and I headed for the loo. Once there I discovered a distinct shortage of toilet roll. This is one of the most irritating things that can happen to you, second only to pianos falling from the sky as in TV adverts. The shortage caused an in mind debate as to whether or not to attend the toilet, or to hold and wait.

I was desperate. I went. I, as expected, ran out of toilet roll, so I called to my dear younger sister to fetch me some kitchen roll. Initially she ignored me. So I called her selfish (this always provokes a response in people who are vain in character) and she immediately asked why, her tone expressing her outrage at such a suggestion. I explained to her my delicate and needy situation. She informed me that it was disgusting, and headed downstairs to get kitchen roll. At least, that's what I thought. I waited. I waited some more. And a little more. I then grew impatient (one of the few things that can grow all the quicker without food and water). I called quietly. I did not want to disturb my Grandma who was babysitting, and whom I would be embarrassed to tell of my predicament. No reply. I waited.

It was like making camp in the bathroom. I always planned to do that when I was young. I thought, "When I get in a bad mood I AM going to live in the bathroom for a few days, and creep downstairs at night for food." Needless to say it never happened. It looked like my plan of long ago was going to be resurrected, just without the glory Jesus did it with. And much less dignity.

Then I had an idea. That proverbial light bulb had had its dusty switch flicked. I bent to my pocket desperately hoping to find my phone there. Oh, the sigh of relief. I phoned my Dad who was out for dinner along the road. He laughed at me, but returned home and solved my rather brown problem. Indirectly, I might add.

No comments: