Friday 23 May 2008

A Better Day

I have had a much better day today, though it didn't feel like it would be at the start. In July I am going to South Africa so I needed to have injections. Some friends of the family have been previously and Mum told me this morning that they suggested I have the rabies jab.

Now, even the possibility of rabies is petrifying, but then being told you have to pay over £100 for the privilege of living a bit longer after the bite is just not fair.

I went to the clinic where I waited for a considerable time at the reception whilst the lady there fiddled with the new system of confirming bookings. She took ages. And ages. And ages.

Then she decided to revert to the old method, which was much quicker and I was glad that I at last would be dealt with. I was promptly told I was at the wrong reception and that I should go to the one in the other room. I turned and was relieved at the distinct lack of queue, though mildly annoyed at the length of time I had had to wait to find that there was no queue.

I booked in and waited for the nurse. She soon came to find me, and as with most nurses she was very kind and chatty. Unlike with most nurses this wasn't a simple attempt to get you to think there is no needle about to enter your arm, wiggle around a bit and then exit making you feel slightly woozy with a sore arm for the rest of the day. This nurse was genuinely kind.

But I cannot have sex or help bleeding people there, because as well as not having the rabies jab (I mustn't stroke any mammals (suchas lions or elephants or hippos or other such creatures that roam Africa) to avoid the risk) I didn't have the Hepatitis B jab. I can cope with the first, but the second could be more tricky.

After visiting the lovely nurse I walked the dogs and spent part of the morning with my Grandparents. Then I decided which fish I wanted to buy.

Then I lazed a bit. Then I went and bought some new fish (after I had given my lovely swings away, in place of which the summer house now stands)! 15 in total, which equates to 18 in my tank (none died this week). I am very happy today as a result. My sister has named two of them Sooty and Sweep. And worse, now she is desperate for a pet of her own.

This hasn't been a particularly funny or endearing story, but it is one which has made me happy, and helped me to understand that when you're as depressed as I was yesterday it is worth continuing. Perhaps there is some truth in there.

No comments: